Home improvements have been shown to add value to your home and appeal to potential buyers. For maximizing your home’s value, new flooring is a great place to start. But how do you choose between traditional hardwood and tile flooring? You have done your homework and your budget allows you to choose between several of the top choices to replace wall to wall carpeting. When choosing the right flooring for your home you must consider your lifestyle and budget. Flooring is typically the largest surface in any room and can be a large investment. Tile and hardwood floors each have some pros and cons which are worth examining…
Tile Pros and Cons
- Pros – Cost is important and tile is less expensive than hardwood. One of the characteristics that people love the most about tile flooring is that it is easy to maintain. If any stains, dirt, or liquids get on it, they will all rest on top of it and won’t get absorbed. Also tile does not readily attract dust, dirt, or pollen.
- Cons – Tile is hard which can make it difficult to stand on for long periods of time. Tile flooring will not absorb or hold onto heat well, which means it gets quite cold during the winter. The installation process for tile needs certain expertise that cannot be compromised.
Hardwood Pros and Cons
- Pros – Hardwood floors are durable and have stood the test of time. Homes that are more than 100 years old can still have the original flooring if they have been cared for properly.
- Cons – Hardwood floors are very expensive. They are also noisy and they wear down over time and will need maintenance.
Both tile and wood should be installed by professionals for the best results so it really comes down to the cost of the material. Given your concern for coming in at or under your projected budget, tile seems the likely choice.
6 Reason Why You Can’t Go Wrong With Tile flooring
Aside from the cost in choosing tile over hardwood floors, there are other solid reasons why choosing tile flooring is an awesome choice for your home.
- Durability is Hard to Beat – Tile flooring is durable and stands up to regular wear and tear without showing signs of aging.
- Versatile and Easy to Clean – Tile flooring works in any room. Tile is common in areas that are prone to messes – like entryways – where people may have wet or muddy shoes or kitchens where spills may occur.
- Almost Limitless Design Options – It is safe to say that there is a multitude of choices when it comes to tile floors, a choice that covers just about any style, color, or texture you can imagine. You can even select a porcelain tile that looks exactly like your favorite hardwood.
- Different Textures and Looks – With so many styles and colors you are sure to find the perfect tile for your project. There are even tiles that look like very realistic wood. This is a great way to get the look of wood, but with the function and ease of maintenance that comes with tile. The tiles can be installed right up against one another with no grout lines, to mimic the look of real wood flooring
- Health and Safety Benefits – Tile floors clean up much easier than hardwood floors. This is especially important in your kitchen and bathroom area. Also the tile flooring is resistant to burns and is nonflammable.
- Heated Floors – A major perk of tile is that electric heating elements can be laid underneath the tile during the installation process, creating a heated floor. The tiles will radiate the heat evenly and retain the heat for a period of time after the element is turned off. They are especially nice in the bathroom area.
- Return on Investment – New floors enhance the value of your home, if and when you decide to rent or sell your home.
Contact us (859-279-3421) for a complimentary in home estimate and design consultation
-OR- stop by our showroom!
About Style Flooring, Cabinets, & Countertops
Style Flooring, Cabinets, and Counter-tops offers a level of attention and knowledge to our customers that big box stores just can’t! Our focus is to provide every client with outstanding service, high quality products, and competitive prices. We ask questions to get an accurate understanding of our clients wants and needs. Our extensive knowledge and product offerings allows us to help our clients find the best possible option for their lifestyle, look, and budget.
>> Learn More