Installing laminate flooring can transform the look of your home. Aside from aiding in the aesthetics of a home, consumers choose laminate over other flooring because it is convenient, affordable, and easy to clean. If you’ve never installed laminate, this quick guide will provide you with the knowledge you need to prepare your home, as well as, inform you of the benefits laminate flooring provide.
Benefits of Laminate Flooring
Why do many homeowners prefer laminate over other types of flooring? Let’s discuss the benefits.
- Laminate Flooring Is Eco-friendly – Laminate flooring can provide you with the look of natural materials without using them. Hardwood flooring requires manufacturers to cut down trees in order to produce the floors; laminate resembles the look of hardwood while avoiding deforestation.
- Laminate Flooring Is Convenient – If you’re a busy homeowner, you will like the convenience of laminate flooring. It is easy to install and maintain. With a quick sweep and mop, your floors will look as good as new.
- Laminate Floors Are Durable – Durability is one of the most important factors that homeowners take into consideration while choosing new floors. It is important that the flooring is durable and will continue to look great for the years to come— that’s why they choose laminate. Laminate flooring is suitable for practically any type of household whether you live alone or have children and pets running around all day, laminate floors are a good choice!
- Laminate Floors Are Aesthetically Pleasing – If you live in a studio downtown or a three story house in the suburbs, laminate floors are sure to look good in the place you call your home. With a variety of options, laminate floors can accommodate any look you’re hoping to achieve. It can be made to resemble hardwood, ceramic, tile, and other types of flooring. When choosing laminate, you’re sure to find something you’ll fall in love with.
- Laminate flooring Is Affordable – Aside from durability, cost is another big thing homeowners take into consideration when picking out flooring. Laminate floors check all the boxes— they look great, are easy to maintain, durable, and cost efficient making them a solid investment.
Determining How Much Flooring You Need
Before you purchase your floors, you’ll need to determine exactly how much flooring you’ll need to cover the desired areas. To do so, determine the square footage of each room you will be installing laminate in. This will help you avoid running out— in some cases, people run out and are unable to order more of the same flooring because it gets discontinued. Knowing you’re exact square footage and ordering a little more to air on the side of caution is the best way to ensure you’re able to get the job done. You can always return any unopened packages or store them in case of an accident, if you have extra.
Preparing the Subfloor
Prior to installing new laminate floors, you must prep your subfloors. Here are two you can do to get your subfloor ready…
- Ensure Your Sub-floor Is Flat – Using a level, make sure that your subfloor is flat. Look for any spots that aren’t level. Lasers are useful at determining whether or not the subfloors are flat.
- If Needed, Grind Your Subfloor In Unlevel Spots – If you find spots that aren’t even, you will need to grind down the high spots. You may choose to raise the rest of the subfloor to accommodate the high spots but this isn’t as easy or affordable as grinding the higher portions of the subfloors down.
Need more tips and tricks on how to prepare your home for laminate floor installation? Our experts at Style Flooring, Cabinets, & Countertops are waiting for your call!
You can trust the professionals Style Flooring, Cabinets, and Carpets to tackle the job and make your home remodeling process easy so you can just enjoy the exciting parts!
Contact us (859-279-3421) for a complimentary in home estimate and design consultation
-OR- stop by our showroom!
About Style Flooring, Cabinets, & Countertops
Style Flooring, Cabinets, and Countertops offers a level of attention and knowledge to our customers that big box stores just can’t! Our focus is to provide every client with outstanding service, high quality products, and competitive prices. We ask questions to get an accurate understanding of our clients wants and needs. Our extensive knowledge and product offerings allows us to help our clients find the best possible option for their lifestyle, look, and budget.
>> Learn More