The decision that you want hardwood flooring isn’t a tough one but deciding on the type of hardwood flooring you want is hard! There are so many choices! How do you decide which one you want? You will want to weigh the pros and cons of each different type of hardwood flooring option…
Hardwood Floor Types
Basically, there are 3 types to choose from…
- Strip: Like the name, narrow strips of material, usually in dimensions no larger than 3/4″ x 2 1/4″.
- Plank: Basically a wider strip, usually no larger than 3/4″ x 8″.
- Parquet: Rather than feature a typical woodgrain appearance, these tiles often feature wood slats fastened in place to create a geometric pattern.
Which Type of Wood do You Like?
An abundance of options can overwhelm you. Below are some options…
- Red Oak: Highly popular for its reddish hue and coarse grain. It is a dense wood that wears well.
- White Oak: Traditional brownish tone with lovely burls. A harder wood than red oak so makes for a more durable choice.
- Birch: For a decor featuring a lighter shade in flooring, birch is still strong enough to wear well.
- Beech: Another reddish variety but with a more consistent grain pattern than red oak. It also has a shock-resistant quality that surpasses many others.
- Pine: For lighter shades and lots of variety, featuring plenty of contrasting knots and swirls, pine is a favorite. It is naturally insect-resistant and has a wear rating right up there with red oak.
- Cherry: As a soft wood, it is better to use the light brown color of cherry as an accent wood rather than for a complete flooring material.
- Douglas Fir: Although you might be a fan of its rather uniform tan color, it is a soft wood that mars easily. It should only be used as flooring in a room with light traffic and low risk for surface scratches or as accent or trim features.
This is a basic run down of the different types of hardwood flooring on the market. We suggest you consult with a professional installer, like Style Flooring, Cabinets, and Countertops, to explain your situation so you can get the best advise possible before making an investment.
Contact us (859-279-3421) for a complimentary in home estimate and design consultation
-OR- stop by our showroom!
About Style Flooring, Cabinets, & Countertops
Style Flooring, Cabinets, and Countertops offers a level of attention and knowledge to our customers that big box stores just can’t! Our focus is to provide every client with outstanding service, high quality products, and competitive prices. We ask questions to get an accurate understanding of our clients wants and needs. Our extensive knowledge and product offerings allows us to help our clients find the best possible option for their lifestyle, look, and budget.
>> Learn More