If you have a small space, you’ve likely tried several different options to make it feel more open and inviting. One of the easiest ways you can create the illusion of a larger room is the flooring. Provided below are some tips and tricks to help you achieve your goal and give your space a face-lift…
Avoid Dark Colors
While darker flooring can work in many areas, it is not ideal for small rooms. Dark flooring combined with dark walls and dark furniture will make it seem as if your room shrunk. Already tight quarters that are have been made to feel smaller can make you feel claustrophobic. To create that open, airy look that will optimize the size of your space, consider using lighter colors throughout the room from the floors to the furnishings and everything in between.
Make Everything Flow
There are a few ways to create continuity in your home and make everything flow together seamlessly. You can do so by using the same light color on your walls and floors, patterns and colors that are similar to one another in each room. Sticking to one consistent color or focal point and avoiding busy patterns can also contribute to amplifying your space. Continuing what you’ve done inside, outside can make your space feel bigger. Creating a flow between the interior and exterior of your home can be achieved by choosing a flooring inside that matches what’s outside. For example, if your deck is finished in a light stain, consider a similar flooring inside. Even when your doors are closed, the exterior space will project through the glass and create the illusion of a larger room.
Carpets & Rugs
- Colors – When selecting the right carpet, one of the most important things to consider is the color. Lighter colors tend to make rooms feel larger as they allow light to reflect. Popular choices that would work well in your space include: super white, taupe, mercury, horizon, and sandstone. Contrasting and complimentary colors can also be used to create the same feel.
- Patterns – Patterned carpet can be hard to manage in small space as the large patterns make the room feel busy. While a patterned rug can be a good focal point in a large room, it’s a risky choice for smaller spaces. However, if you have your heart set on adding a rug as the center piece of your room, pick one with muted shades like stripes of colors in similar shades. This subtle look will not take away the attention from other areas of the room. For carpeting, choose a structured grid or cut-loop pattern to avoid making the space look loud. You can use these type of carpets throughout your home to create a consistency which will make your interior seem bigger.
- Width & Color – With wood flooring, there are a few ways to make your room appear larger. One of those is by installing wide planked floors. Another is the color— darker boards can shrink the space, while lighter boards will amplify the space and create a sense of openness.
- Laying the Planks – How you lay your wood planks can impact how big the room feels. To make a narrow space appear longer, lay your floor boards at a right angle from the longest side of the room. If you have a small room, run the boards away from the door so that as you look in, it appears to have more depth.
Stones & Tiles
- Size & Shape – Tile flooring is an easy way to keep your home clean. Stone and tile floors are easy to maintain and can be ideal in homes with pets or children. One of consumers biggest concerns is that they will be cold, but thankfully that is no longer the case. Tiles come in a variety of shapes and sizes to suit your design needs. Similar to other patterned floors, larger tiles will contribute to the space of the room. You could also choose to alter the size of your tiles. Ask a professional for help on how to create the illusion of more space using tile and stone flooring.
- Color & Orientation – As mentioned before, the less busy floors are, the bigger the room will feel. Minimize your grout lines by using large, light tiles. We offer plenty of options to accommodate any design goal. You can make your space feel roomier by matching the color of the grout to the color of the tile. Choosing lighter tiles or stones will reflect more light and enhance the size of the space. For small spaces, install large tiles diagonally.
Contact us (859-279-3421) for a complimentary in home estimate and design consultation
-OR- stop by our showroom!
About Style Flooring, Cabinets, & Countertops
Style Flooring, Cabinets, and Countertops offers a level of attention and knowledge to our customers that big box stores just can’t! Our focus is to provide every client with outstanding service, high quality products, and competitive prices. We ask questions to get an accurate understanding of our clients wants and needs. Our extensive knowledge and product offerings allows us to help our clients find the best possible option for their lifestyle, look, and budget.
>> Learn More