Okay, so you’re wavering on your choice of flooring. Laminate is sometimes not considered the top end of all floor coverings. If overly used it could look a bit homogeneous and manufactured. On the upside, when it’s used right, it looks great, has a low cost, and is easy to install. Read on to learn more about today’s laminate flooring…
- Pro – Laminate installation is relatively fast and easy – you can install approximately 300 sq. feet in one weekend. Older types of laminate flooring require glue to piece together. Today’s many laminate options use a click/lock or fold/lock design that allows planks to fit like puzzle pieces. Planks are constructed of soft particleboard so they can be cut easily with a hand saw or utility knife.
- Con – Designed to be easy, the click/lock or fold/lock design may not always work as well as it should. Boards can be especially difficult to join. Also, if forced into place, you risk curling up the top wear layer compromising the floor’s ability to resist moisture.
- Pro – Easy to clean with a vacuum or broom. Use damp mop or laminate floor cleaner. No waxing is ever necessary.
- Con – If excessive water seeps into the seams between boards, it can cause swelling. Special laminate floor cleaner is recommended.
- Pro – Laminate flooring can be installed in semi-moist areas like powder rooms and kitchens. Laminate can resist some water as long as the boards fit tight against each other to help keep moisture out.
- Con – Laminate will not tolerate standing water – think kitchen or bathroom water leaks. For heavy moisture, you should look to a more impervious surface such as vinyl or porcelain tile.
Durability and Maintenance
- Pro – As opposed to wood, laminate flooring is almost impervious to dents and scratches. Laminate flooring has a “wear layer” that protects the photographic layer underneath, and this tough outer surface resists most stains. If you do get a stain, it is easy to clean off.
- Con – The biggest disadvantage of laminate flooring is that it cannot be sanded or refinished like a solid hardwood. If laminate is heavily worn, deep scratched, or grooved, it must be replaced.
- Pro – Laminate flooring may feel hard underfoot without an underlayment; though most installations do include this. This underlayment gives the floor a slightly springy feeling making it easier to stand on for long periods of time.
- Con – Traditionally, laminate flooring has been known to be very slippery. Today’s manufacturers have been developing slip-resistant wear layers to eliminate this concern. Laminate flooring also tends to create static electricity though this can be prevented by keeping the floor clean.
- Pro – Laminate flooring can reproduce the look of natural materials like wood or stone. Unlike real hardwood, which has imperfect pieces that may need to be discarded, there are no defects in laminate flooring. Every board is of consistent quality and appearance.
- Con – The “reproduced” appearance may become an issue with pattern repetition once the flooring is down. Potentially five to ten different patterned boards will be produced. If the installation is not done properly, you could end up with two of the same boards next to one other.
- Pro – Laminate flooring manufacturers are continually working to improve the product by adding deeper textures, micro bevels and better graphic reproduction. Not quite on the same level as solid hardwood or engineered wood flooring, but Laminate is raising the bar.
- Con – Bottom line: Hardwood and engineered wood flooring are going to give you better value when reselling your home, especially if you’re looking for top dollar.
You can trust the professionals Style Flooring, Cabinets, and Carpets to tackle the job and make your home remodeling process easy so you can just enjoy the exciting parts!
Contact us (859-279-3421) for a complimentary in home estimate and design consultation
-OR- stop by our showroom!
About Style Flooring, Cabinets, & Countertops
Style Flooring, Cabinets, and Countertops offers a level of attention and knowledge to our customers that big box stores just can’t! Our focus is to provide every client with outstanding service, high quality products, and competitive prices. We ask questions to get an accurate understanding of our clients wants and needs. Our extensive knowledge and product offerings allows us to help our clients find the best possible option for their lifestyle, look, and budget.
>> Learn More