Carpet tends to bring a sense of warmth and coziness in your home. Choosing the right carpeting may seem a bit overwhelming as there are several different options. From the carpet material to colors and even where to buy it— picking carpet for your home is no easy task. We can help make the process easier by going through all the factors so you can be confident in your choice.
Carpet is an Investment
Installing new carpeting is an investment making it more important that you pick the best carpet for your home the first time. The first step in this process is educating yourself on the types of materials the carpet is made of. You should look for carpet that will suit your needs so that you can be sure your investment is protected.
What is Carpet Made of?
- Olefin or Polypropylene – This material is a more affordable option but it still looks good. It is durable enough to resist fading, static, stains, and mildew. Often olefin or polypropylene is blended with Berber style carpet that is useful in hiding dirt. This is the perfect choice for areas that see a lot of traffic such as family rooms, hallways, stairs, and playrooms.
- Polyester – Another good option that both looks trendy while resisting stains. And while it is soft and salts on resistant, it isn’t a good option for homes with children and pets. Polyester can be hard to clean and will it hold up as well In frequented areas.
- Nylon – Due to its durability and longevity, nylon carpet is the perfect choice in homes with children, pets, and lots of foot traffic. It is easy to clean and maintain. High quality nylon carpets are typically branded whereas lower quality nylon carpets are unbranded.
- Triexta – Composed of a high quality fiber making it perfect for homes with children and pets as it is resilient and tough. It is made with stain resistant elements so that you do not have to treat for stains as often as you would if you had nylon carpets.
4 Factors to Consider
Aside from choosing the material, there are few things to consider when it comes to picking quality carpet…
- Texture Retention Warranty – Texture retention assesses how well carpet fibers can return to their original shape after being stepped on. You should look for a carpet brand that offers at least a ten year texture retention warranty.
- Carpet Density – Carpet density can be determined by measuring both the thickness of the carpet and how densely the carpet fibers are packed. Go with a carpet that has a density rating higher than 2,000.
- Face Weight – Face weight is based on the number of ounces in a square yard. This ranges between 20 and 80; we suggest choosing carpet with a face weight around 40.
- Tuft Twists – Twists are determined by looking at how many times in one-inch lengths that the tufts were twisted together. Look for carpet with a rating higher than 5.
Picking the Right Carpet Color for Your Home
Although it may seem simple, selecting the right color of carpeting is no easy task. The first thing you should consider is the color of your home furnishings. You’ll want to make sure they compliment each other. Two options that can make coordinating your furniture and carpet easier are flecked and neutral colors.
- Flecked Colors – Flecked colors are found in Berber carpets, the small flecks of colors contrast with solid colors and help with coordinating your carpet and furnishings. Flecked colors come in an assortment of colors from bold brights to nice neutrals.
- Neutral Colors – Neutral colors leave the statement making colors to your furnishings and wall paint. To balance any room, pick carpet that is neutral in color. This also makes updating your home easier down the road as neutral floors can be made to match almost any look.
Next, you should take into consideration how often the carpet will be walked or played on. You should avoid white or light colored carpets in rooms where children and pets gather. However, if you go too dark you’ll be able to see every piece of dust and dander. You best bet is to choose a mid-toned carpet.
Make Sure to Hire an Expert
There are several factors to consider when installing carpet— price, selection, warranty, color, etc. but perhaps the most important is hiring the right carpet experts to guide you along the way and do a great job installing your carpets. Reputation is everything. There are many places that sell carpeting from large hardware stores to your local mom and pop shops. Hiring the right company to do the job will make a huge difference in your overall satisfaction.
About Style Flooring, Cabinets, & Countertops
Style Flooring, Cabinets, and Countertops offers a level of attention and knowledge to our customers that big box stores just can’t! Our focus is to provide every client with outstanding service, high quality products, and competitive prices. We ask questions to get an accurate understanding of our clients wants and needs. Our extensive knowledge and product offerings allows us to help our clients find the best possible option for their lifestyle, look, and budget.
>> Learn More